Thursday 27 September 2012

Owl Pattern

Huge 'Thank You's to everyone leaving such encouraging comments on my relatively new crochet  skills - I can't believe its only 8 months since I started hooking - once I got a rhythm I have had such fun! Please keep giving it a go if you would like to try..one day it might click!

A while ago I introduced these little feathery friends...



and was quite amazed when someone requested the pattern! So Becky  - here it is especially for you! Its the first time I have written my scrawly notes into something coherent for someone else to follow  - so please let me know how it works!!

Random-Wooliness Owl pattern: UK terms
Start with a magic ring and chain 3. Now hook 14 Trebles into the ring and join with a slip stitch into the 3rd chain of the 3 chain. Pull on the short end to gently close the hole.
Chain 3 and join to the body with a slip stitch into the same stitch.
Slip stitch into the next 4 stitches. Chain 3 and join to the body with a slip stitch into the same stitch (ie 4th slip stitched stitch).
Finish off - I tend to use the wrong side as it has different texture, by giving the finished stitch a good pull as you wrap it round the back (in my case the right side!) you can create a notch similar to the one you have on the other side.
I have embellished mine with needlefelted features although felt or buttons may be used.

You may have noticed I like to add a splash of colour - this one is worked with 2 yarns on a bigger hook! Although the way the contrasting colours have worked makes his 'ears' a little quirky


I did experiment a bit with the ear - like bits - you could try just 3 slip stitches across the top to adjust the angle. I also tried a picot style but that owl would need to be a long eared one!!


......seen from a different angle they seem to shrink!


I am hugely aware of issues of copyright around blog-land and I'm sure whilst swooping around your brain picks up lots of images as you are browsing. As far as I know I have not seen an owl with the pattern above, however as it is so simple there may be others out there...hoot if you see one!

I have been doing loads of  fiddling, with stitches, yarns, scribblings and patterns, learning a lot as I fumble about. I have always been a bit of a rebel when following instructions or counting (particularly in music) so its quite fun to make it up as I go along!!
 I realise lots of talented people are working hard creating patterns to make an income - but for me, with my fledgling crochet skills its an amazing form of procrastination!

1 comment:

linda said...

I love your owl and thank you for the pattern, I will have to give it a try :)