Wednesday 5 September 2012

Birthday Rainbow Owl!

When I began to crochet earlier this year I made a list of projects...(written in longhand in a notebook!)...that I would like to hook...one of them was the fab Emma Varnam's Cutie Hootie Owl.
 
Thinking that it was a long term aim to be able to make something with shape, a pattern and with more than four rows I had forgotten all about it until  I re-read my little list. I printed off the pattern and with a special little lady's fifth birthday in mind a rainbow version was begun. It was completed with greater ease than anticipated due to Emma's detailed instructions and some obsessive stitch counting!
So without further ado.. here he is..made with a larger hook and therefore a little bigger..but still cute..I hope!


He's a little shy so maybe if you read a bit further he might feel more comfortable and show his true colours! He has the usual Random Wooliness needlefelted features and was photographed just as the sun was setting on an August evening...quite an appropriate time for an owl to come out!


Emma describes her Cutie Hootie Owl as 'a perfect little mascot for those back to school blues' as he can carry a little message under his wing.
Rainbow owl carried a birthday message...


 but he could equally have sent a 'Happy First day at School' as the recipient has today had the excitement of her first school day!

I'd like to wish everyone starting (back) at school or college a 
Happy and Successful New Year
(one reader especially who is bravely (re) tackling a tricky subject)! 
The message of course includes those who are teaching and/or learning....which often goes both ways...as my Granddad always said...'You learn something new every day'!

Sadly the time at which the photos of Rainbow Owl were taken is now engulfed in darkness due to the shortening of days...however the sunny September weather we are having here is creating some stunning sunsets!
That brings me seamlessly onto my next post.....
but you'll have to wait a little for that....






8 comments:

Melody said...

He's a HOOT! :))) Your crocheting adventures know no bounds!! I love the colors ~ and he matches the fuchias just perfect!!

Tracey said...

He's a very cutie hootie - love how you're crochet skills have grown so quickly x

Starfish Studio said...

Very cute! Love the way you can tuck a wee note under his/ her wing. I'm sure the recipient will be delighted :)

Kate x

crazydazy said...

lovely photos of the rainbow oil

ThatFuzzyFeeling said...

He's great Ali! He looks like a very purposeful owl on his way to deliver a very important document! I love your choice of colours, too. Liz xx

Ali said...

Thanks everyone! I should have said my love of variegated wool makes such interesting rainbow items....
Ali x

Lynne Rowe said...

He's fab Ali - so cute and colourful. He'll be loved to bits I'm sure. What a clever pattern too with the little message. Can't wait to see more of your crochet work x Lynne x

Linnhe Mara said...

Oh Ali, what a cutie, and colour coordinated with the fuchsia too.
Ah yes, the shortening of days, the one drawback to this time of year. It's not fair. We haven't had nearly enough sunshine yet. I feel the need to unearth my light box.