Sunday 8 July 2012

Flower Power!

I had a white plastic lampshade when I was much younger, beautifully simple and sculptural...my memories of it have been rekindled by all the Scandinavian dramas we have been watching...and I keep shouting out during the criminal investigations or visits to politicians houses- 'That's the lampshade I'd like'!
Blogging has been a bit sporadic recently as we have been doing up a room, which necessitated a weekday (crowd avoiding) trip to Ikea.  I quickly spotted THE lampshade and along with the heavy flat pack furniture we brought it home. It too was flat packed in the most amazing compact triangular box and turned out to be an entire light fitting!
With the purchase of an extra circular ring we have been able to just use the shade. The instructions looked more complicated than they were (I am baffled by diagrams and don't usually read instructions) but a methodical rhythm soon enabled the construction.

It was more beautiful than I expected but when I looked from underneath this is what I saw:


a perfect flower with the energy saving bulb as a stamen!


The design is also a thing of beauty - 40 identically shaped pieces placed onto curved armatures creating different protruding shapes....










 It looks fabulous - and complements the orchid we have on the windowsill








It reminds me of Georgia O'Keeffe's paintings too...

As its a Sunday...here's a shadow of a different shade...its difficult to capture on camera - but looked like a giant ceiling covering daisy!


I can't believe I've written a post about a lightshade...but it is pretty cool!



4 comments:

Unknown said...

that is one cool lamp shade!!

Anonymous said...

oooh - I love shades like that, and the view from underneath is super!

Linnhe Mara said...

I have to agree, it is pretty cool. It's my one bug bear about ceiling shades, very few of them look good from underneath. Your new shade looks great from every angle. If I hadn't got rid of most of out ceiling lights I would feel an IKEA trip coming on ( not that I need much of an excuse)
Hope your room is nearing completion.

Starfish Studio said...

Oh my goodness! I had completely forgotten about my childhood bedroom lampshade until I saw this!! It's almost identical. Happy '70s memories :)