Sunday 12 June 2011

This is Birmingham

Another of my click to see the hidden pictures posts!!

Just over a year ago we met Jan Bowman a talented travelled artist currently living in colourful Brum, when we bought a copy of her book This is Birmingham in a pop-up art and craft shop. 
The book is fantastic - I loved spotting all the familiar sights of Brum and reading up on the not so well known places, people and history. The language and word choice are great. The illustrations are thought provoking, vibrant and full of interesting, quirky details. Above all it makes me proud to live in such a historic, colourful, diverse, forward thinking and friendly city!
The book is being reprinted and theres a brill trailer video to view in the meantime!

We have one of Jan's prints adorning our wall too - its entitled Hidden Gem at Tyseley and is of our local 'Energy Recovery Facility' ie the tip - rather glamourously living up to its title!

Jan also illustrated the cover of one of my favouite books What Was Lost  by Catherine O'Flynn.

Thank you Jan for showing how vibrant Birmingham is... amongst many other things!!
 

6 comments:

ThatFuzzyFeeling said...

Hi Ali, I've been neglecting blogland recently, but thought I'd drop in and take a look at some of my favourite blogs this evening...what an interesting post, I've taken a look at the links and love the look of that book. I've got very happy memories of chugging through Birmingham on many childhood boating holidays!! I've also spotted your glorious felt from a previous post, and it is truly beautiful. Keep it up!
Liz x

Tracey Todhunter said...

What a gorgeous looking book, really like her style.And thanks to you, I now have a new book on my wish list :-)
Take care,
Tracey x

Linnhe Mara said...

What a talented illustrator.
Isn't it amazing when you get a chance to see a well know place through someone else's eyes, encourages you to take a second look at sights you usually take for granted.

Jenny said...

Hi there Ali! Thankyou so much for becoming a follower over at my bloggy blog and leaving such lovely comments :)Its lovely to meet you :)
A brilliant introduction to a talented artist...shall have to show my mum who grew up near Birmingham! Thankyou for the link!

Starfish Studio said...

Oh wow!! I just love that trailer!!
I was born in Birmingham and lived in Moseley until I was 3.
I grew up in the West Midlands, shopped and partied in Birmingham, and between doing A levels and a teaching degree I worked on New Street for a while.
Last weekend we passed through Birmingham on a very long train journey, and I got ridiculously giddy as we approached the city! I almost jumped out of my seat with excitement when I saw that we were going through Spaghetti Junction! I also had my first, fleeting glimpse of the Selfridges building at long last.
I would love to spend some time exploring the city again after all these years (I've lived in Scotland for 20 years) - maybe one day...
Thanks so much for this post - you've made my day!! :)
Kate x

Starfish Studio said...

Ali, thank you sooooooo much for the absolutely brilliant letter and postcards that arrived in the post today!! I can't remember the last time I received a proper, handwritten letter.
I'll reply properly by sending one back :)
Kate x